Our office is a partnership between Grey County, the Ontario Ministry of Economic Development and Growth(link is external), and the Ontario Ministry of Research, Innovation, and Science(link is external).
Some of the services we offer include:
- Free business consultations
- Guidance on government rules and regulations
- Seminars and workshops
- Networking and learning events
- Resource material
- Youth incentives and programs
Contact us today for your free consultation!
Courtney Miller, Business Enterprise Manager
Grey County Administration Building
595 9th Avenue East
Owen Sound, ON N4K 3E3
Are you a student who has always dreamed of running your own business?
Summer Company offers students between the ages of 15-29 the opportunity to start and manage their own summer business. Successful applicants will receive a grant of up to $3,000, and invaluable training and mentorship from local business leaders.
Contact the Business Enterprise Centre for further details or click the link below to learn more.
Applications are now OPEN.
Learn more (Link is external)
Do you need assistance starting your own business, or help growing your existing small business?
Starter Company Plus is a training and mentorship program for entrepreneurs over the age of 18 who are not returning to school. Participants receive training and business skills development as well as mentorship from local business leaders. Participants may also be eligible for a grant of up to $5000 to start, purchase or expand their business.
To learn more click the link below or contact the Business Enterprise Centre for further information.
Applications will be postponed until further notice.
Q. Am I eligible for Starter Company Plus?
A. You are eligible for Starter Company Plus if you are:
- Proposing a new company, expansion of an existing company or buying an existing business
- Not a full time student and not returning to school full time
- A resident of Ontario
- A Canadian citizen or a permanent resident
- Prepared to complete the business training components of the Starter Company Plus Program as prescribed by your Small Business Enterprise Centre Program Provider
- Prepared to commit to a minimum average of 35 hours a week running the business
- Can demonstrate 25% matching funds in cash and in-kind assets
- Prepared to attend monthly meetings for at least six months after acceptance into the program
- Not receiving government income support, such as: Ontario Works, EI, ODSP
Q. What type of business can I start?
A. Almost any type of business is eligible, as long as it:
- A sole proprietorship or a corporation where the applicant will be the majority shareholder
- A partnership*
- An independent business venture
- Social enterprise
- Fits the Canada Revenue Agency definition of being self-employed
- Operates at arm's length from family business ventures
- Operates in Ontario
- Operates full-time as defined in the business plan
- Maintains its own books and records
- Maintains a separate business bank account
- Follows government rules and regulations for operating a business
*If only one partner is eligible for Starter Company Plus he/she must demonstrate 51% ownership of the company
Businesses not eligible for Starter Company Plus include:
- Commissioned sales
- Not-for-profit or charitable enterprises
- Multi-level marketing ventures
- Single events such as a theatrical production, a DJ gig, a music concert, a dance/party event, a fundraiser, a sporting tournament, etc.
- Businesses that are strictly pay per click
- 1-900 businesses
Futurpreneur Canada provides youth age 18-39 with the opportunity for low interest financing for their business, as well as an internationally recognized mentoring program.
For more information visit the Futurpreneur website(link is external) or contact The Business Enterprise Centre.
Satellite offices will operate from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
612 10th St.
Dates (2019): First Wednesday of each month
Walter Harris Library
75 Walker St.
Dates (2019): May 15, June 19, September 18, November 20, December 18
Flesherton Public Library
101 Highlands Drive
Dates (2019): July 17, August 21, October 16